Recently I had the chance to join Elise Stevens, a voice for women in Project Management, on her podcast Fix My Project Chaos. Elise and I talked about how PMO leaders and project managers end up hanging by a thread, simply surviving instead of thriving. I also shared many easily implementable take-aways so you can start driving IMPACT and solving business problems.
During this informative and entertaining episode, Elise and I delve into:
- How to avoid being trapped into feeling the need to drive change quickly. Good change is sustainable, and that takes time.
- Business leaders want to see results. As a PMO leader or project manager, you can’t spend two years just building templates and tools, first you must prove you can solve problems.
- Build your credibility by fixing something. First, assess the organisation, understand where the real opportunities are and help your business leader realise the changes they need.
- Once they trust you, you can introduce the templates and tools and processes.
- Why it is important to start with why, don’t think about what you do, think about why you do it. PMOs are so much more than implementation methodology.
- PMO leaders should change their perspective from believing the PMO is temporary, to seeing it as a sustainable business unit that has goals and objectives.
Be sure and listen in and let me know what you think!
Thanks for taking the time to read this article.
Click here to receive these blog posts right to your inbox.
Fill out our one-minute survey if you have topics you would like read more about.
I welcome your feedback and insights. Please leave a comment below.
See you online!
I love this! I am listening saying “yes yes yes!” PMOs need to make life easier…. templates out the window (apart from Psr)… Agile delivery is a major red herring. .. still need to define what you need! what is required? What are the risks?
So refreshing to hear someone speaking my language!
Thank you, Anna-Louise! I am thrilled to be speaking to a kindred spirit! I don’t see you on my newsletter list…make sure to check that out (at the top of the screen) to get a deep dive on each of these topics each week. We’ve just started a series on the IMPACT Mindset. You can check it out the first post here: https://impactbylaura.com/impact-pmo-leader-mindset/